Christian Leaders Institute Math courses exist to offer a base for other subject matter such as, Economics and Business. Students may also desire to take these courses alone to improve their skills in relation to personal finances, ministry finances, or mathfundamentals
MAT 151 Finite Mathematics (3 credits)
This course teaches the basics of mathematics and record keeping as applied to personal finances and ministry settings. The emphasis is on practical wisdom and skill, not high-level theoretical math. This is very important for stewardship of household and church.
- Honor God and practice wise, faithful stewardship with personal and church finances.
- Master basic finance-related math such as decimals, percentages, and interest.
- Know best practices of budgeting, goal setting, saving, and investing.
- Understand record keeping with spreadsheets, checkbook registers, and other records.
- Know how software such as Excel can aid record-keeping and decision-making.
- Grasp principles of mathematics and economics that aid accurate, effective stewardship.
- Embrace biblical principles for godly priorities and financial integrity.
MAT 201 College Algebra (3 credits)
Some people say that “mathematics is the language of God” because the natural world is so beautifully described by mathematical relationships. This course explores the mathematics of algebra, a fundamental building block of all advanced mathematics. The course begins with a review of fundamentals and continues into the study of expressions, equations, inequalities, graphing, and applications to geometry.
- Solidify knowledge of some math basics: exponents, square roots, order of operations, fractions, and decimals.
- Know how to write algebraic expressions, set up equations and inequalities, and solve them.
- Master basics of graphing using the coordinate plane.
- Understand expressions with exponents and scientific notation.
- Know operations with polynomials: adding, subtracting, multiplying, and factoring.
- Grasp properties of triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Value and use mathematics to discern God-given patterns in creation and to manage creation wisely.